Thursday, December 4, 2008

When Insomnia Strikes....

She is kissing me.







Take pictures in the dark.
Pretend you are asleep and aim and hope. See those concentration wrinkles? I am trying to take pictures in the dark and not bother the cat.

The cat decided to lick my face.
she sleeps on my shoulder.
I'm thinking she needs a new bed buddy since I can't shake my asthma off and cats are a big no-no. I look at her and tell her, "You are very cute, very sweet, and oh so lovable; but you are no curly black haired standard poodle.

After photographing us we took pictures of my little tree. Some of the pictures were of my nostrils. I mean really you could look up there and see brains or maybe something else worse than that.







































This is my cute little tree. I thought you might be able to see the time on the clock. 3:30am and not the bed that I should be in, sleeping away, but I had a shot of steroids and my eyes are big headlights.
I love the little birdies, partridge in a pear tree or baby quail. I think they look like little quail. Everything on this tree is miniature, it's a cutie about the size of a table lamp and I love it in my room, so cozy.










Then in the mail today was something new. Something I never knew before. some of you are this smart I am sure! But not me. I didn't know this.

The 12 Days of Christmas explained!

What in the World do leaping lords, French hens, swimming swans, and especially the Partridge in a Pear Tree have to do with Christmas? Today I found out.

From 1558 until 1829 Roman Catholics in England were not permitted to practice their faith openly.

Someone during that era wrote this carol as a catechism song for young Catholics. It has two levels of meaning: the surface meaning and the hidden meaning known only to the members of their church.

Each element in the carol has a code word for a religious reality, which the children could remember.

The partridge in the pear tree was Jesus Christ.

The two turtledoves were the Old and New Testaments.

Three French hens, stood for faith, hope and love.

The four calling birds the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

The five gold rings recalled the Torah of the law, the first five books of the Bible written by Moses.

The six geese a laying stood for the six days of creation.

Seven swans a swimming represented the seven fold gifts of the Holy Spirit:
Prophesy, serving, teaching, exhortation, contribution, leadership, and mercy.

The eight maids a milking were the eight beatitudes.

Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit:
Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control.

The ten lords a leaping were the Ten Commandments.

The eleven pipers piping were the eleven faithful disciples.

The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles Creed.

So there is your history lesson for the day.

Tonight I intend to sleep. This riddle is now solved. This information was printed in my father's bulletin at his Lutheran church and their source not given so I do not have a reference to quote.
I am assuming the facts are correct, it makes sense.

9 comments:

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Hey girlfriend . . . I think you should lay off the asthma medicine -- feelin' kinda loopy? Seriously, remove that nostril pic. (Ewwwww, that was a gross pun I didn't even intend -- YIKES!!)

As for the 12 Days info -- Snopes.com says "False," but I wonder . . . Hmmmmmmm . . .

I'm gifting my family with 12 days of Christmas this year (12 feasts). A different country or time period each night and a riddle: Find the Day's item in the feast. For example: Caramel turtles and dove chocolates in a candy dish on the table, pears in the apple crisp, etc. I'm having as much fun as the girls as we scurry around hiding lists and specially-made gifts. As usual Matthew is enjoying the moment and not worrying a bit -- hy's been the best gift to me: A living example of simple living. Gary is . . . Gary. : ) Counting the days 'til Elizabeth returns.

Wait -- this isn't an email! It's supposed to be a comment. Sorry! : ( (Twelve days of Christmas got me going. Guess you can read this while being an insomniac. Love you! Miss you!)

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Now I heard that was true also and I want to believe it! So cool to think that everything to do with that song was inspired by Christ. Sometimes I wonder about Snopes...

Becky said...

LOL... what a fun post! We could imsomniantic together. ;-) I have heard of the 12 days list before, at least 10 years ago... Don't know if it adds to its credibility or not but I like the "story" nonetheless.

P.S. I LOVE your kitty. She looks so sweet and lovable. Love her colors. I've heard that bathing your cat can ease its effects on asthma sufferers... LOL, good luck with that.

Heidi said...

That is SO cool - I love stuff like that. I totally makes sense now and how funny that I was humming that song last night my dear Karen!!! LOL

Angela said...

Thanks for sharing the 12 Days of Christmas...I LOVE your little Christmas tree..Your cat is so beautiful..and so are you! Even while sleeping,,lol

Anonymous said...

I mention you on my blog today!

Love your little tree by your bed!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

cute kitty and what is it about cats and necks HANK loves to cuddle up around my neck... but he is an outdoors cat ... I had heard the song meaning before and for what it is worth I have read been told or something that snopes is NOT always correct so I CHOOSE to believe that is the meaning behind the song... makes me love it all the more!
Hope you feel better
Love n hugs Laura
ps... recall that question? I never heard anything back on it.

imbeingheldhostage said...

you are so funny. You take the whole blog world on a tour through your insomnia. Funny woman. Thanks for the info on the 12 days-- I DESPISE the song, but like the sentiment :-)

Unknown said...

Wowser! I love your cat. Calico cats are my most favorite : ). I also like your little tree. I am so glad to learn all of that information. I have always wondered what all those things meant! You are not only a nurse, but also a teacher! Thank you!
PS I hope you can sleep tonight!