Monday, August 25, 2008

Beet Salad



On my birthday we went out to a wonderful Italian restaurant to eat, remember? We ordered a salad that was so delicious I was determined to figure it out. For my honey's birthday I tried, and came pretty close.

I showed you the finished food on the birthdays. Nanner Pudding and salad. What a menu, right?

The salad is good, try it, here's what I did.

Start with a box of baby greens spring mix. The restaurant served a bed of arugula.

Marinate whole little beets in balsamic vinegar and honey. I did that the day before so they would really get pickled.

I added chopped up avocado to mine, and dried cherries. The dried cherries taste incredible in this mix of flavors.

Make goat cheese balls, just shape them in your hands like playdoh. Roll them in very finely chopped walnuts. Warm them slightly. Add the warmed cheese on the chilled salad just before serving.

The dressing.

This was a wild guess on my part. I saved the beet marinade, added salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, very good extra virgin olive oil, and Provence Italian Herbs. It was delicious if I don't say so myself. Go ahead and try my experiment, I double dog dare you. Warm up some bread and pull a cork on something nice and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG this sounds amazing. I love the goat cheese balls with the nuts. And because I adore beets, I'm all over this one!

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Gotta try this. I LOVE BEETS! I love goat cheese! (okay ... I love good food.) : )