Monday, January 25, 2010

The Pied Piper of Bread




Saturday I baked 12 loaves of bread, about a dozen rolls, and 6 pans of frosted orange cinnamon rolls. I am really out of shape. At the end of the day it was like being hit by a truck putting in a day of hard work. I think with the labor, cleaning the kitchen, and the cost of ingredients I earned about 50 cents an hour. Back to the drawing board. The good part was how happy everyone was to come get their bread and take it home.

The smell of fresh bread wafted out the front door until every child on our end of the culdesac had come inside and announced their hunger! One six year old girl asked me what the bowls of flour were. "Is that sand?" She said she had never seen flour, and never tasted home made bread. Those two statements had her seated at the table with a large plate and a glass of milk in short order. She ended up getting very excited about the whole process and pitched in at the kitchen sink standing on a chair to help wash dishes. Next time I am working on a smaller quantity I'll let her play with some dough and make some rolls. I am such a sucker softie for little girls. My other neighbors growing boys also came in running their hands over their stomachs and practically freaking howling for something to eat. You know loving food as much as I do that I can't say no. It goes to PROVE that when presented with good whole foods that children will chose them and eat them. My bread is 100% wheat. Nobody left the crust and nobody said it wasn't good. I sent them home with one cinnamon roll each. Too bad children can't pay I'd have a booming business already!

 On the home front I bought carpet today! My long search for the best champagne carpet on an beer inexpensive budget paid off! Ya'll my vote is hands down for LOWE'S!! They gave me the carpet I wanted and marked it down. No bargain shopping at Home Depot. I also went to a local business but they could not compete with the $100 install special. The carpet I chose is just gorgeous. It is 100% nylon with a very soft feel to the hand or soon to be feet, it is 65 oz and 4 twist; new vocabulary words.The brand is Mohawk and they actually have a carpet identical to this in the premium line that really isn't any different but is twice the price.  Hopefully we won't have to wait long. We are going to save money and kill ourselves by taking all the furniture and old carpet out so it will be ready to lay the new when they come. Yowza!

The upstairs bedroom is almost finished and Kayla will be moving upstairs. I will be going back down into the room I used to have before the girls moved here. All of this upheaval is actually a whole lot like moving period.  It's a good thing I cleaned out the crap closets and drawers before starting this.

Now that the carpet is ordered and the hall is done I can begin the new photo hanging ideas. I hope to have this week to get frames painted and hung on rods and put back in the hall. I WILL show you step by step.
Everything is coming together.

Really big news. My daughter that I have not heard from in at least 5 to 6 years called me! Big answer to prayer--huge--gigantic-- even colossal! We had a very sweet conversation. She did most of the talking because I was to shocked to talk. It takes a lot to leave me speechless. We have talked three times now. My other big news is that I am having surgery on Monday the 8th. If you are a praying person I appreciate your prayers; if you are a good thought person that will work too; whatever you send up!

Next post will be something fun and in color and thank you for not disappearing with my sporadic appearances. Ya'll are so nice drawl that out real good.

14 comments:

Debbie in CA : ) said...

MMMMmmmmmm! I can smell it from here!

Can't wait to see the unveiling after the carpet comes along.

: D

God is good!

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, YUM!!! Love what you are doing to the house. How can you do all this stuff when you're all gimpy? I mean... really??? You are like one of those terminators that keeps moving forward even though parts are falling off.

Chris H said...

OH KD that is fantastic news about your daughter. I am so happy she has got back in touch with you all.
The bread... hell's bell's I can smell it from here! Yum yum.
I am dying to see the carpet.
And ooooooo! good luck with your surgery mate... loving thoughts winging their way to you for the 8th.

Tricia said...

Praying for you, as always.

Maybe, with your love of kids and love of cooking, you could host a cooking class for kids. Those run around $8 a kid and you could fill a kitchen with 5-8 kids for one baking session. Girl Scout troops would jump on it.

Looking forward to seeing the carpet. God bless.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

I will be praying for your surgery and hope it goes very well for you.

Your bread looks fantastic--to answer your question about how do I make money selling bread? By selling things alongside it that are more expensive, my dear. People want all kinds of stuff, some makes more money than others. My cinnamon rolls are $24.00 a dozen..

Also on the bread, maybe try setting up a "Loaf a Week" program where they are on standing order for bread and pay you ahead of time. That way you have $$ for ingredients and can plan your schedule better.

With the way things are going in this country you may just find yourself becoming the Queen of Sheba simply because you are able to make food from scratch! :-)

Awesome answered prayer about your daughter--God is amazing, isn't he?

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Congratulations on hearing from your daughter. I am beyond thrilled for you. I got tears in my eyes.

What a great neighbor you are. I can almost see the look on those kids's faces. There is nothing in the world like bread just out of the oven. I need to start making my own again. I'll bet you could start a business and sell to your neighbors.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

PS I'm a praying woman so I sent a prayer up for you. Good luck, may the doctors be gifted and know just what to do, and may you heal quickly.

Kathy said...

Prayers lifting you daily my friend. I can just smell the fresh baked goods. mmm mmm mmm
So glad your daughter is communicating with you. How is Heather doing? Looking forward to more pictures of the house.

Caution/Lisa said...

Goodness! There's a lot happening down your way. How wonderful to hear that you're in touch again with your daughter :) And, yes, I will pray for that surgery/recovery.

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Wonderful baking. Good for you and all that will be eating these delights. Glad Lowe's was good to you. Our son-in-law is a store manager and it is always good to hear good things about his employer.

Karen said...

Yeah! for your daughter calling! That is awesome. God is so good, isn't He?

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Oh how I wish I lived on your cul-de-sac:-). I would be hanging out with the children on your doorstep.
So glad your daughter initiated contact...prayers for continued restoration and growth.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Mmmmm, you know I would have been knocking and asking for some of that bread. My Grandmother made the best homemade rolls. She also lived near a bakery, I loved to drive by real slow and breath deeply the scent of the fresh baked bread.
Can't wait to see the new house!
I have you on my prayer list and I will continue to pray that all goes well and healing comes quickly!

Jen said...

Oh YUM!
Thanks for stopping in from Grma J's.
You should join our A-Z with food meme-looks like you know a thing or two about it. :)