Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Starting the New Year Right- Total Chaos!

There are a lot of things I want to do this year, besides the usual weight loss crap that I never accomplish. In fact in spite of the head cold (which I am grateful has stayed in the head); I have begun. The first thing to do when you want to begin your year well; is destroy the place. Not exactly destroy but it feels like it because I have plunged the whole house into chaos again.
This is my room. It is empty. This is a before shot. I tried painting the border a solid color to match the paper and see if that would passify me.I am not easily passified. It is better than the big blue flowers on the border that were there before, but no thank you just the same. I gave it a chance at least a month.

All of my stuff is everywhere else in the house.
Taking a shower and getting dressed takes careful planning. My underwear and socks are in this chest in the living room. My clothing is hanging in one of 3 closets.
The bed is in the laundry room. It fill the whole room.
I do love this paint it is so pretty.


And the cabinets that the Hunny (who is out of the dog house) built. Of course since we under construction AGAIN the counter top is catching everything.
This room was cleaned up and organized perfectly for less than a week, before we started yet another mess.

Someday I am going to get my head examined.

At some point it is much easier to sell, and just move than to redo the house you have just lived in for the past 9 years. Note the piles of books! Just note THE PILES!  Piles must be moved many times to accomplish anything. I should be in shape from all of this- but I am not; my husband is.

He is also working on this. Definitely out of the dog house.

It is primed and the paint is cut in, it's a cream color.

I have what I hope will be a very cool idea for this hallway. Trisha, Butterfly's mom, suggested painting the picture frames different colors from a color palette that goes with my house. I like that idea. Then in a magazine I saw picture frame collages that are suspended from a metal rod and connected by hook and eye hardware. Just one of those cool little items is a hundred bucks. I think we can make our own. This hall is going to be a major project but I think the effect when it's done is going to be really awesome. We will see. I know you will speak your mind when you see it all done--sometime in the next century. Sometime hopefully before I am too senile to remember what it was that I was doing!


Finally I have saved the best for last. I have been bitching asking sweetly, to get rid of the carpet and put in laminate flooring for about 10 years. I started  bitching  when he said "I do" before we even lived here. When we moved here I wanted flooring but cost prohibited it and I begrudgingly chose a carpet. At the last minute I changed the color. BIG mistake. Do not change your mind at the last minute about anything carpet. I was also under a lot of stress at the time and picked the carpet quickly just trying to get the job done. I don't recommend hasty decisions when you have to live with them for a long time forever.

Guess what?  You won't believe this.

Since the carpet has been gone off of the stairs I have noticed a few things. Bare stairs feel treacherous are noisy. I really hang onto clutch with both hands the side rail more. How has it stayed in the wall? The dust is phenomenal. I see dirt everywhere. I have mental pictures of me swiffering all of the floors on a daily basis and screaming. I am a freak about keeping the house clean sterile and my compulsions just might go buzzirk off the deep end,  if I see floating balls of white cat hair blowing about the floors at all hours of the day and night.

What am I saying exactly? Well I am thinking about carpet instead. WHITE Shag carpet or better known these days as Frieze. I have been looking at carpet and I just love it. I do want a light color that will not show the long white billows of cat hair. I think it will be gorgeous. GUESS what? NOW laminate is FREAKING cheaper than carpet. What gives with this?  Am I under a curse?  I could blow a stinking gasket!  The carpet that I like is a "green" product, supposed to be good for allergies. It is not outrageously expensive only $#*%$#** a yard!
Well not quite, it has $** before the decimal point for change. The first number is smaller than a 4. The carpet I really like is in the $40 to $50 a sq yard price range. Even I have my limits. Not really my wallet does.
I could love really expensive carpet no problem! Reason must dictate here! So smart shoppers just where do we find outrageous deals on carpeting? Really this is no time for silence! Speak quickly my credit card is twitching!!

I told you before that I am crazy ( I have 3 cats but I love DOGS)
 now you believe.

15 comments:

noble pig said...

OMG I have no idea, I always rip out everything and put wood floors down.

Anonymous said...

I want you to come re-do my house. I'll come stay in yours while you do it. Okay?

Rosie_Kate said...

Think of it this way-- if you have carpet all that dirt and pet hair that you're having nightmares about will STILL BE THERE hiding in the carpet. You won't see it, but it will be there. And no matter how much you vacuum (and who wants to vacuum stairs??) you will never get rid of all of it. HOWEVER, if you have laminate, swiff-swiff! Dirt gone. All of it.

Can you tell I'm a carpet-hater? :-D

Unknown said...

watch Craigslist like a HAWK. But it does take patience, but we've always gotten exactly what we wanted, for DIRT cheap....but it takes patience, sometimes alot of it.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad the Hunny is out of the dog house, and wow, what a lot you have going on in the real house. You have the creativity running rampant. WishI could help you with the carpet, but I am not even close to being a good shopper. I hope you get what you want and I will be looking forward to seeing the final results.

Tricia said...

No suggestions this time. I am glad Hunny is out of the dog house. Your post today made me smile. Thanks. :)

Karen said...

I did notice an increase in dust when we pulled our carpet, but I LOVE not having to scrub carpet stains. Of course, you dont have little kids or dogs, so it wouldn't be a problem for you.

You just can't win, can you?

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

We just put carpet in our master, the only other carpet in the house is in my daughter's bedroom. The whole rest of the house is wood flooring to keep allergies to a minimum but we have to carpet the downstairs because it gets so cold down there.

As far as shopping for carpet--it's pretty easy here. We have one store that carries carpet and they have 5 colors to pick from--take it or leave it LOL

Chris H said...

I have always had carpeted homes, this one has carpet AND laminate.. and I hate the laminate. It shows up EVERY LAST TINY BIT OF dust, fluff, dirt.. you name it! Go for carpet. Can't help you on where to get a good deal... you not even in the same country as me!
Glad Hunny is out of the dog box... did you get a parcel yet????

Twisted Fencepost said...

Your house looks like mine! Like a hurricane blew through. Right?!
We have too many projects going on right now and the clutter is driving me nuts.
I cannot wait until the day I can pull up my carpet and put down wood flooring! No stains, nothing hiding down inside.....

Kathy said...

I adore you, but sorry I can't help you. Right now my house looks like yours and it's NOT under construction. I have to get it in order today or I will go nuts. funny thing, just this weekend I was commenting on our gross hallway and bedroom carpet, the cowboy just started calmly asking,'so do you want new carpet OR an arena, barn addition, finish fencing etc,etc,etc blah blah blah'. My thoughts, I just want it all, now. See, dear friend, I can't help you.

Michelle said...

You totally need to come and redo my house. I am waiting for summer break to to a paint job. You are right about the wood floors. You see every speck of dirt and dust.

Kat said...

Oh yes. I know this craziness WELL. And I adore carpeting. I know everyone wants hardwood, but I had it in my last house and HATED every squeaky, dusty, dirt-showing, second of it. So there! ;)

Mental P Mama said...

LOL. If you were here in Connecticut, I could give you tones of places for good deals. Have you tried Home Depot for a runner? They have some really nice, easy to clean things! Good luck, and keep us posted;)

Karen said...

You know we have been really lucky when it comes to replacing carpet or flooring. We always seem to do it when there is a deal going on.

My favorite one though is when we lived in Kansas. They have a store that does a lot of remnant business. Can you believe that pad, carpet and labor for 1200 sq ft was just over a grand. That was a few years ago. (2004) So it might be a little more now, but man, I miss that place.