Wednesday, November 12, 2008

10 Ways to Pray for Barack Obama

"When we pray, it is far more important to pray with a sense of the greatness of God than with a sense of the greatness of the problem." - Evangeline Blood


10 Ways to Pray for Barack Obama

Whether you voted for Obama or not, you need to pray for him. Here are 10 ways to intercede for him regularly:

1. Pray for Obama’s protection. We already know that some weird, neo-Nazi fanatics in Tennessee plotted to kill Sen. Obama during his campaign. Let’s pray that racist hatred is not allowed to spread. Let’s cancel every assassin’s bullet in the name of Jesus. May civility triumph over bigotry.

2. Cover his wife and daughters in prayer. It is not easy to live under constant media scrutiny. Pray for Obama’s wife, Michelle, and their two daughters, Malia and Natasha, as they face invasive cameras, nosy reporters, maniacal fans and dangerous enemies. Obama is not only a politician but also a husband and a father.

3. Pray that Obama will govern with God’s wisdom. God rewarded Solomon because he asked for wisdom instead of wealth, long life or vengeance on his enemies (see 1 Kings 3:11-12). Pray that Obama will order his priorities like that. Despite Solomon’s tragic character flaws, his legacy was wisdom. We can ask God to give our president the same grace.

4. Ask God to keep our president humble. Many great American leaders became corrupt after they moved to Washington. The fatal attraction of fame, wealth and power proved irresistible. The only thing that will guard a man or woman from this pitfall is humility. May God deliver President Obama from the curse of pride.

5. Pray for wise and righteous advisers to surround him. Even the best leaders have failed because they trusted the wrong people. Pray that Obama will not select his counselors based on party, race, pedigree or political cronyism but on Godly character and proven wisdom. Pray also that he will not allow secret traitors into his inner circle.

6. Ask for the spirit of reconciliation. Some segments of our deeply divided society want nothing to do with Obama now that he has won the presidency. Even some Christians will be tempted to harbor resentment and nurse political grudges throughout his term in office. Pray that God will grant forgiveness and healing so that leaders on all political levels can have constructive dialogue.

7. Pray that Obama will adopt pro-life [and pro-Bible] convictions. Many politicians have changed their views on key issues while in office. In the 1800s some leaders who favored slavery later denounced it. In the 1950s some who opposed racial integration later became champions of it. Even though Obama won approval from many voters because he sanctions abortion, God could soften and change his heart.

8. Bind all evil forces assigned to manipulate our president. The specter of Islamic terrorism looms over the United States, and dark forces are ready to infiltrate. Our only hope lies in prayer to the God who is able to expose and outwit the schemes of the wicked. This is truly a time for spiritual warfare, and intercessors must not come off the wall in this hour! Pray that no foreign government, terrorist organization or demonic principality will use Obama as a tool. We must stand strong against the spirit of antichrist that promotes dictatorship, persecution of Christians and hostility toward Israel.

9. Pray that Obama’s door will remain open to the church. The loudest voices of secular culture—from Bill Maher in Hollywood to atheists in academia—would be happy if religion were removed from public life. Pray that Obama, who claims to have a personal faith in Jesus Christ, will unapologetically welcome Christian leaders into his company and seek their counsel. And pray that false religious leaders (who claim to know Christ but deny His power) will not have his ear.

10. Pray that our nation will enjoy God’s peace and blessing during the Obama administration. The apostle Paul instructed early believers to pray for all in authority “so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity” (1 Tim. 2:2, NASB). [Pray] for America to experience peace and prosperity so that we can continue to export the gospel to the nations. This must happen whether a Democrat or a Republican is in the White House. As we cry out for God’s mercy on our wayward nation, pray that He will allow us to be a light to the world as we finance global missions, feed and heal the world’s poor and share Christ’s love at home and abroad.
we are always to be salt and light in this world and this is a great opportunity to do just that---it is also how we honor our Heavenly Father, by representing Him as His children. people who don't know parents often make assumptions about them according to the behavior of their children. although this is not always a fair assessment, as we know our kids don't always behave the way we taught them to, i hope that Christians will be children who do represent our Father in a way that makes people want to know Him.

I recieved this from a friend and thought it a worthy post to reflect and act upon. sometimes we don't know how to pray and these are a very good way to begin. God does hold the hearts of kings in his hands.

9 comments:

Becky said...

I'm sorry you are sick ya little stinker (thats for callin me a spider lover)

That is an awesome list... my prayers have been pretty general. I'm going to print this out and hang it on my fridge. Maybe even print extras to hand out at church if its ok with you.

Angela said...

Even though I'm Canadian, I will use this also for our Prime Minister. I'm glad you posted this Karen. ((hugs))

Karen said...

I love your attitude. He was not my candidate of choice, but the moment they announced his victory I started praying. He'll be my president, and to that end I need to support him. Especially with my prayers.

Heidi said...

Amen!! Could not have been said better!! LOL

imbeingheldhostage said...

wow, that was fantastic! Praying hard especially for those doors to remain open!

Anonymous said...

That is excellent Karen!

Angela said...

Up before 4 this morning. Instead of tossing and turning I let the Lord know I will get up and start my day with Him. Totally off topic here with this post but you were on my heart this early morning. I don't know how to email you (haven't figured out how to find emails, and when I do, still can't figure out how to get to send the person's email through blog,,lol).

Karen, I lived with my grandmother. In her home I was made to feel safe, accepted and loved. Through her prayers to Christ Jesus, I truly believe I'm where I'm at because of them. I felt the Lord telling me to tell you, YOUR DOING AN AWESOME JOB! You are setting up a firm foundation for your grandchildren that will carry on for generations to come. Your love for them is the foundation that is built on Christ Jesus. I may not have been wanted by my mother, but my grandmother WANTED and more importantly prayed for me, NEVER giving up on me when I was this WILD teenager in her home.
God sees you and is well pleased. He will say to you when you stand before Him and the time of raising your grandchildren comes up, "well done, good and faithful servant".
((hugs)) You DO make a difference in their lives,,and to their future.
I'm living testimony of a grandmother's love and prayers for her grandchild!

Kathy said...

I sure hope that you are feeling better today.
I've come back to this post 3 times to offer up prayer.
Thanks Karen d.
Angela, that was a very sweet comment!

Karen Deborah said...

Angela you brought tears to my eyes, thankyou.