Friday, November 21, 2008

Books Books Books

While I was home sick I read a few good books. Over at the Country Doctor's Wife she gave away some reads that sounded pretty good so I sent dear hubby to the library with list in hand. Here is my review.

It Takes a Village Idiot, by Jim Mullen. This book is hysterical! He is a New York Jewish columnist and his wife quits smoking. To help her break the habit SHE decides THEY need a weekend house in the Catskill Mountains. Their adventures into the country life are full of out loud guffaws. He is stinkin funny, and that is probably the biggest understatement I have made all year. I won't say one more word so as not to spoil the fun. It's clean too. Any references to profanity are made with initials and are very minimal, and also funny. No smut. Dry, shoot from the hip, smart New Yorker, did I mention funny? Laughing until you need a nebulizer treatment, or the Heimlich maneuver.

Growing Girls, by Jeanne Marie Laskas. I wanted Fifty Acres and a Poodle. The library didn't have that. Amazon.com did, $5 for a clean tight hardback copy. I have not read it yet, but am salivating. Any story about a big black poodle will kill me. Rasmus was the best dog that ever lived.

JML is a non fiction writer, very personable. She writes like she talks, even though I have not heard her speak; her written style is conversational. She and her husband adopt two little baby girls from China and all the details are in the story. They live in the country and have a blast. Her girls have very interesting and different personalities. One child has a speech problem, she describes her angst over this with maternal passion. The children, the setting, their friends and neighbors the learning experiences of city going country are all very winsome, honest and just plain fun. Good read.

A Midwifes Tale. Gretchen Laskas. The librarian made a mistake ordering this thinking it was the previous author. Being a nurse it appealed to me. It's old medicine the days of herbs and lore. The story may offend those of a tender nature because she does discuss infanticide. It has been practiced since Moses. What makes this reference an essential part of her story is her grief over the practice, and the moral dilemma it places her in. It is definitely a secular book. She is a fascinating woman and has an incredible mother and family history. The way knowledge is passed down from each generation of midwife is fascinating. It is fiction but probably one of those fiction books based upon a lot of true research. I loved it.

Random Winds, by Belva Plain. One of my library book sale finds, $1 for hardback. Love those deals! This is going to be great! I haven't finished it yet but so far it has a country born and raised doctor, whose father was a doctor. He fell in lovewith a woman but failed to cement the deal. She misunderstood his ambitions and married another. Her sister a misshapen hunchback, with an excellent mind, pretty face, and red curly hair loves him. They become best of friends and at this point in the story are discussing marriage. Miss Blain is a native Mississippi writer and she is excellent, this story is already fabulous on page 100, 331 more pages to go.

Back on Blossom Street, by Debbie Macomber A pleasant story about the relationships of women. Very human, small town, interwoven troubles and a little group of ladies who come together to learn to knit yarn; and they also knit their hearts. Sweet. Read it in one day.

Oh tay that should keep you busy for awhile. Life is so much better with a good read.

Had a good week at work and am finally getting back to normal if there is such a thing!

6 comments:

Angela said...

I think brown sugar on my beans are AWESOME!! lol.
Thank you for letting me know you had a good week. I prayed to God to give you strength....((hugs))

Flea said...

One of these days I'll start reading again, and these sound like good ones. :) Thanks!

Becky said...

Oh I am jealous! I have been picking up books at the thrift stores for months and have as of yet to read one. Someday I will have nothing to do.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good book list. I can never get too many books :-)

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Unknown said...

I followed you over from CBW's blog. I love your book reviews! I normally stick to non fiction, but I really want to read A Midwife's Tale. Both of my parents and their siblings where born at home, and I've always been drawn to that subject matter.

I think the Kiss test is hilarious! I hope you don't mind if I borrow it. I'll put a link back to your site umkay?

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Reading is like breathing for me . . . who makes time for it???? It just happens as a part of the autonomic response system. Read or die . . . yep, that sums it up for me. ; )