Saturday, November 29, 2008

It Was Lovely




Piglet is feeling creative. She is interested in learning to sew. Aromatherapy neck pillows are her idea for gifts. We are filling them with wheat berries, lavender and rosemary. I have plenty in the garden which is on it's way out from the last frost.
Actually the fall colors are happening in a spectacular way and if it's pretty tomorrow I'm going to go outside and try and capture a bit of the beauty for you.
The really amazing thing about these projects of my little woman's, is the timing of it. She was doing this Thanksgiving morning. I worked on Wednesday so everything had to be done on Thanksgiving, all the baking, the whole shooting match. Usually I would have been too uptight to add this to the mix. I don't know what happened, it just was ok. I didn't worry about a mess or anything. I actually really enjoyed helping her and I loved her idea. These will be nice inexpensive gifts. They smell good when you warm them in the microwave and then feel great on your neck or low back wherever you would like a little heat.




Tigger wanted to make a mocha chocolate souffle. She wanted to make it bad enough to pay for the ingredients herself. She bought the biggest container of cornstarch I have ever seen. It will take twenty years to use it all. What could I say though, except OK, lets make this creation. Look how pretty it turned out!






This is the ugliest artificial tree. I'm showing it to you to show you what can be done with one of these. You can imagine the results if you start with a pretty tree. I can tell you for a fact it is not.






Then with some lights and a multitude of ornaments the little beastie is transformed. It's amazing. one of these days I'm going to buy a pretty tree. But until then this one is quite festive.






Fixing up the mantle is my favorite. I like the more natural look not a lot of glitter and foo-foo. The berries the cedar branches and candles really do make a cozy and inviting look. This is what I did today. Piglet and Papa worked on the outside lights. It was quite a busy day.

14 comments:

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Everything looks beautiful and festive, but most important of all--COZY! I love your decorating and I am very happy to see your young lady taking the incentive to know her way around the kitchen. The souffle looks great!

Heidi said...

Your home looks WONDERFUL!! I would LOVE to be able to sit with you and have hot coco by that beautiful fire place..... :) and the soufle looks divine! That girl must have read my mind - I wanted to make some of those myself, because I bought one and they can be pricey, for my mom and granny. THey have both had back surgury's - they were in the nursing field for years granny is an RN and mom has been a CNA for YEARS....

Tell luck on the neck bags! Tell her to do a 'how to' on here. :)

Angela said...

I love your banner with the food set on the table. How beautiful...Your tree looks like Walmart tree I bought last year on sale for 26 dollars..it looks so full karen and just delightful to the eye..Mine,,well it still looks like a Charlie Brown tree,lol. I really need to start looking for more ornaments during Yard Sales next summer..lol. Your mantel is WOW..I love the colour of your living room, what colour yellow is it?
"I would have been too uptight to add this to the mix. " I know what you mean by that...I can picture you with the girls, being an encourager, sharing your wisdom and lavishing them with your love. This memory will stay with them for a very long time Karen. ((hugs)) blessings to you and your family.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

So much delightful catching up to do around here! Wonderful to read about all your fixin's and doin's. We celebrated with such JOYful hearts and gratefulness for the abundance of those things that really matter. I see you did too! ; )

No tree up here yet, but the hearts are brimming and the eyes are shining -- those are always the first decorations of the season.

MaBunny said...

Oh what a thoughtful idea of piglets. And the souffle looks yummy. Hats off to creativity!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! That tree really transformed, when i get back to Cali I have to go buy mine. And that souffle...wow, wow, wow!

Chris H said...

OI!!! What you doing with my ugly as artificial tree???? I hope mine ends up as pretty as yours!

Heidi said...

YES - we do pop them between the ribs if the soda water doesnt work - but that is so painful for them so we put it off until its almost vet time... Not to mention its stinks like heck!!!

Brenda said...

Beautiful! I love Piglet's idea!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

That souffle looks divine! What a great job she did. And I think the tree looks beeutiful. Ours is still in the garage, wrapped in a old sheet. Waah.

Karen said...

This? Was a wonderful post. The sewing project sound like a wonderful gift idea, the souffle made me want to lick the screen and I loved seeing the decorations. I wish mine were up.

imbeingheldhostage said...

You rawk. You've been sick for what, a decade? and still managed the energy for decorating. Your tree is lovely-- it reminds me of the tree in the Christmas Charlie Brown movie :-) And your girls are amazing-- they cook and sew AND plans ahead!

Kat said...

Wow! That tree really was transformed! It looks fabulous!

Unknown said...

Neck pillows: brilliant and so creative!

Soufle: Oh my gosh, does that look GREAT or what : )

Tree: Fabulous decorations : )

Your family is sensational!

And, I really love that mantle!