Monday, November 17, 2008

Turned the Corner

Today I didn't cough. My chest has that hallow feeling like after you have thrown up forever, and I'm sore! But I did not cough. No sweating. In fact I slept all afternoon. Think that means it's time to try and go back to work. The first day will be hard no matter what. I could drift into that land of no return pretty easily right now. It'll probably be a month before I quit feeling this. You know how it is. I can't remember being this sick since the Swine Flu hit the country. I hope ya'll escape because it seems to be travelling all over. Nasty bad bug.

Elyssa tagged me to meander through some childhood memories. I like this one, just be random and remember. I CAN DO THIS!

My funniest memories always involve my little brother. I need to dig out some pictures of him he was so cute. It was pretty funny when our mom started screaming at the top of her lungs,"SPIT IT OUT!" He had a little bitty tree frog in his mouth with the legs hanging out. Mom was never calm or subtle.

I remember getting my tonsils out. The smell of ether was absolutely evil! I woke up in a CRIB, a great big crib for a 5 year old and I was so mad. They lied about the ice cream, I couldn't talk, or cry, or swallow. Betrayal was the word. The nurse took me to a big bathroom that had all these tiny toilets lined up against the wall. I'd never seen little toilets and big cribs; could make a kid think they fell into the world of Alice In Wonderland. Ether is evil.

I loved my grandparents. My grandpa always said, "For the love of Pete." Who is Pete?

I remember when we got our first TV it was big and black and white. I loved Captain Kangaroo and the Mickey Mouse Club.

Riding bikes without helmets or knee pads. Roller skating all over the streets, playing hide and go seek in the dark.

Going to Texas in the summer and catching fireflies to put in a jar and make a lantern. We made mud pies out of red clay and got in trouble. My cousin caught a big June bug and put a string on him and walked him like a dog. We ate the biggest watermelons I ever saw in my life.

Never ask an "old" person to talk about their memories, it could be endless. So how about you want to play?

10 comments:

Angela said...

Just finished posting my funny memories and put up your link for other's to come check out your memories..

Thanks Karen, that was fun!
((hugs)) Praying for ya still for strength and health!

Elysa said...

I loved Captain Kangaroo, too...AND Mister Green Jeans. ;)

Glad you're feeling better. Me, too. :)

MaBunny said...

Yuppers, I know the feeling like you've thrown up everything down to your toes.. and glad you may be on the road to recovery. Liked the memories and I used to watch Captain Kangaroo too and Mr Green Jeans! Also loved Bozo!

Karen said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better.

I loved Captain Kangaroo! I'd almost forgot about him. Thanks for reminding me.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Captain Kangaroo and that silly bunny with those ping-pong balls everywhere? What a great memory! My favorite CK character: Dancing Bear, of course. : D

FUN POST! Glad you're feeling a wee bit better. Prayers continue in your behalf.

Becky said...

Glad you are on the mend. I could go for some good ol doorbell ditching. Knock and run... I have no idea why that was so much fun. :-p

Laura ~Peach~ said...

excellent post... love the tree frog incident LOL... and I loved Captain kangaroo and the grandfather clock... there is a comercial here for an automotive place and the man wears a red jacket and to me if he grew his sideburns and combed them straight out he could be CK... love your 4th photo post too just beautiful!

CIELO said...

Hi.... wow, I love your blog banner... what a lovely place you have there.... and thanks for visiting our house in the roses...please come again...

May our Heavenly Father bless you...

cielo

Chris H said...

OOO fun! My earliest memory is of looking over our fence at the neighbour's car, which had a dog on the back seat ledge that had a head that bobbed up and down. I like it... I must have been about 3-4.
- Our first TV was also a big black and white one, the first programme I ever watched was Coronation Street... I was 5... I still LOVE Coronation Street, I miss Ena Sharples! She was wicked... but nice too.
That me for now... gotta go PEE!

imbeingheldhostage said...

I'm so glad you're on the mend. June bugs. yuck.