Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I 'm so thankful to be breathing and not coughing with every breath. I am very grateful to be getting over that rotten bug. It kicked my bo-hiney around the block! We had a little family time tonight and talked about what we are thankful for. It was a warm up for tomorrow.

Tigger especially blessed our hearts. She is thankful to be with us. She is grateful for her relationship with God, and the peace that he has given her regarding her estranged mother, little brother and sister. She is appreciative of her room and clothing; her education. I nearly cried when she said that after being called a "retard" all her life by her mom; she is beginning to accept that she is smart. She is more than smart, in many ways she is brilliant. It is my hope and prayer to raise enough scholarship money for this one to spend 4 years at Bellhaven a Christian art college here. That is a prayer request. $15,000 a year. May not sound like much to some or outrageous to others. My Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills, and I believe I own at least one.

We were all very full. Not just full of food and feasting that comes tomorrow but full of gratefulness for our blessings. We are a family. We love each other. I have a great marriage and love my husband for 21years. Finally after all these years our kids even like each other and us too. God is so good.

I find myself oddly (or is it odd?) thinking of you too, my bloggie friends. I have actually become quite attached to some of you that I have frequent exchanges with. It seems funny to me how one can discover so much just from reading. People do share their hearts here out on the world wide web. For all the talk about crazies and "it's not safe" and all that other baloney, really I have found good people. I have laughed, cried, drooled, admired, enjoyed, understood, hoped, and prayed for many of you and with you. I have celebrated milestones and sorrowed for those with losses. My own life has deepened. My hope for our people has been strengthened. I feel when I read these different little bloggie homes like I have had a neighborly visit with the heartbeat of real America. Instead of spin, and hype and media blah blah, we are privileged to hear the true thoughts and hearts of every day people. Every day people making lives for their families, overcoming obstacles, creating beauty and hope. Every day people sharing with each other, building bridges, reaching out, offering encouragement and knowledge. The breaking of bread together even if it is only visual and yet it is satisfying. Something deep in us that longs to relate to a bigger whole is met here. Who would've ever thunk it? But here we are, having our little neighborly get togethers on the Internet. High tech friendships but it works. If it didn't we wouldn't be so addicted to it. Because really none of us are all that excited to hear ourselves talk!
I love hearing about you, your stories, your children, your cooking and your lives.
This Thanksgiving I have added all of you to my list of what I am grateful for. I would love to offer you a nice piece of pie at my table, until that day; be blessed.

17 comments:

Flea said...

Happy Thanksgiving, sweetie! I'm grateful for you. :)

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

What a beautiful post, you really touch on a lot of the things I feel but then sometimes feel weird for thinking...since I've never truly "met" the people in the blogosphere (with a few exceptions...3 that I can think of off hand). And yet I often feel I know them better than I know the people in my "real life."

Do you make banana cream pie? Boston cream? No matter...whatever you're serving up, I'll take a piece with whipped cream on top.

Have a fantastic Thanksgiving.

LDF said...

I totally agree with what you have written about bloggie friends! Happy Thanksgiving from northwestern Canada.

Anonymous said...

Okay you really hit it here, you really did. That was a beautiful post and said what we all think but et expressed it so well!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Heidi said...

Happy Thanksgiving my dear friend! I hope you are as blessed today and everyday as I am..

Angela said...

"My Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills, and I believe I own at least one."

this brought tears to my eyes..What a powerful statement and TRUTH..

Karen,I agree about this connection through the internet. I too have been so thankful to God for leading me to start a blog, to find you and so many other's. I may not live 'physcially' beside you, but in spirit, precious one, your my neighbor,,,I love you and have and will continue to pray for you and your family..(((hugs)) You always bless my heart so good!!
Angela

MaBunny said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Karen! Those things you are thankful for are so beautiful, and blessings to you all.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

you so easily put into words things that I feel thank you!
Happy thanksgiving!
Love n hugs Laura

Becky said...

I love you too. You have made me smile, think, tear up, and LOL! I am thankful for you! Happy Thanksgiving! I tagged you :-)

Michelle said...

I loved this post! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Karen said...

Absolutely wonderful. Happy Thanksgiving.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

This was beautifully written. When you said that your children actually like each other I smiled. They all come to it, eventually.

Thank you for the lovely words. I too believe we shouldn't hide our lives in private blogs because of fear. More good will be done in sharing each others hopes, fears, hurts and joys.

I think I'll go upstairs now and eat a piece of that pie in memory of you. Can I send you the calories? Haha.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

What a lovely, lovely post--thank you so much. BTW--we will be meeting in person in January--can't wait! I am certain we will feel like we've known each other forever.

Unknown said...

I love this post. You and your family seem so connected and content. Happy Holidays.

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Australia. Great to know you're over the bug.

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, but it's a great occasion, as is any acknowledgement in life.

Angela said...

Karen, just wanted to let you know I appreciate and covet your prayers for me ((hugs)) Thank you for your love.Thank you for your wisdom also and insight.

Elysa said...

I'm thankful for you, sweet Karen!