Friday, May 16, 2008

Blankets




Crocheting is easy. Everyone can do a single stitch. It's amazing how many different ways one stitch can look. By varying the size of the hook, the type of yarn and how many strings you work with, one can make beautiful designs.
For children and babies I enjoy cotton yarn. Surprise but Walmart has some very pretty skeins of cotton yarn in either natural or multi colors. The large spool is actually very economical it's about six dollars. A G, or H hook is a good size for a single crochet cotton blanket. Start chaining and go about the length you think you'd like. It does always seem to grow, so I stretch it when I'm trying to figure out my size. Then it's simply a matter of working back and forth until it looks good to you. I like to make a border by going around the blanket. I think it makes a nice finish. Sometimes I make a wide border, sometimes narrow, it can be a contrasting color or the same; again the possibilities are endless it's up to you.
Textured yarn with lumps,bumps and fuzzies can be fun to work with.Most of my blankets are given away as gifts so I don't have one of those to show you. My favorite is to use the giant blanket hook and work with 3 strings. the effect is a very heavy thick woven look, and it feels wonderful. I always chose nice soft yarn, in some type of natural fiber. I don't like acrylic and it's too much work to make something handmade with cheap yarn. People who read patterns can make anything they want too. Unfortunately that wouldn't be me. I make stuff like I make food, making it up as I go. Crocheting isn't exactly a spring or summer type of hobby to enjoy unless their is a baby on the way. A friend of mine is due at the end of August so I will be getting busy soon. She is fun and she likes bright colors so I'm thinking of making a primary colored blanket with red in it. Not your typical plain blue for boys. Babies enjoy color and personally I think they look even cuter with some bright colors next to them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! I've never done that before. I should try it out.

Karen Deborah said...

It's easy.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

I love your handmade blankets! My daughter asked me to show her how to crochet not long ago and do you think I could figure it out?? I used to crochet and for some reason my brain won't let me get past the first part. We even checked a book out of the library with photos and both just sat and stared at it with the yarn twisted around our fingers. Maybe we should try again when schools out since our brains are a bit fried right now trying to get everything done by the 26th.

Karen Deborah said...

I wish I could show you, I'd have you going in 10 minutes. The main thing is to keep the thread loose enough. I'll see if I can figure out how to teach it on the blog.

Flea said...

Your work is gorgeous, but I'm not a crocheter. I smock instead. My mother, though, loves her crochet. :)