Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Full Moon Rising.

I have a headache. It was over 95 yesterday and feels that hot again this afternoon although the morning was very nice. I have a ton of work to do, and here I am blogging. I did wash the dog. My yard needs cleaning up and weeding. The house is dirty again, imagine that.

My first night working in my old hospital was pretty funny. I could tell it was a full moon without looking. First event was walking down the hall I slipped; but did not fall. There was a very large amount of water, as in a small pond, on the floor. I went into the patients room, who had water coming out from under his door, to see the bathroom faucet running full blast into a full sink that was spilling over. There was already several inches deep of water in the room. The man looked like he had a visual problem, cataracts or something; not my patient. Thank God for small favors. All he had to say was, "I need to pee." Alrighty then will see what we can do. I called for maintenance stat. They came up with a huge water vacuum, very cool. They didn't come stat though, we put a bunch of bedspreads on the floor.

Next up, a nurse aide came flying out of a room saying,"We need help in here now!" Not one to ignore that I ran in to see 4 nurses struggling with a scrawny confused person who was trying to poop in a garbage can. The poop was everywhere, on the bed, on the nurses, under the can, on the side of the can, and in the can. The patient had stripped butt nekkid, pulled all the sheets off the bed so the poo was actually on the mattress (YUK) and the can was collapsing under her. I didn't even have gloves on but she was heading to the floor. Just as I reached for her, a big male orderly stepped into the room. There are knights in shining armor, really there are!
He picked her up like she was 5 pounds and put her in the bed by himself. Wonderful.
now the only thing left to do was throw out the can and clean up the mess. I helped dispose of the can. That got me out of the room. Well, she wasn't my patient either. I actually had my hands full with my own assignment. The hospital is using scanners now for patient identification and medications. It felt like it took forever. I suppose I'll get faster after a couple more shifts. That floor was actually a pretty nice unit, it was just the kind of thing that happens during a full moon.

Called Piglet and she is having a wonderful time in Hilton Head. It is jelly fish season and the ocean is full of them so swimming isn't too relaxing. They have also been near stingrays and a shark. She went kayaking today, that sounded good, a boat between her and all those sea creatures. She said she woke up this morning from yelling in her sleep. She hollered, "GET OUT!" Naturally all her friends were concerned and worriedly asked her what she had been dreaming. Her reply,"I was in the shower and my Nana wouldn't get out of the bathroom." They all giggled. I had to ask, "You mean you didn't want me to scrub your back?" She is so funny. The Dad of this family is a gourmet cook and they are eating high on the hog, she mentioned shrimp kabobs. Good, now I don't have to feel guilty for taking Tigger out to dinner. She was feeling kind of lonely and left out so we splurged and went to the Red Lobster. I love their biscuits. I also ordered her a virgin pina colada, it made her feel special. I think we will go the movies too and see Prince Caspian.

I have made a paint decision. I'm going to strip the wall paper off the walls in the dining room and paint it just like the kitchen. The rooms have always been different colors since we bought this house. I started thinking, I have enough of both the primer and the paint, and I think it will open the area up to have them match.
Don't ya'll agree? I think the walls will look better in one color with the white trim, and I really like the color.

I'm quitting ice cream, and candy. That's why I have a headache. Food is too expensive to be fat, we are going to eat rice and vegetables. How are ya'll coping with all these rising prices? Even stamps went up!

10 comments:

MaBunny said...

LOL! I used to work the night shift in the lab of a local hospital. from 10pm-1030am. I experienced full moons, full blown sundowners.. eeek, that hospital was creepy as all get out in the middle of the night. Then I had to go into patient rooms and draw blood. My husband literally used to tell people I was a license carrying vampire:))

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm spending more and getting less...it's horrible. $75 to fill up the car today...shudder.

Cat Lady said...

Nana can we go see The Hobbit or Expelled please?

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

I know I couldn't make it as a nurse. My sister tells me things that make my skin crawl. I am so glad there are people that are willing to take care of the rest of us!

I agree with continuing the color that you like into the other room. I was reading about that in a design book and they said that was a good thing to do. So there you have it.

Good for you--rice and vegetables! You should post before and after pictures. If you stick to that new way of eating you will regret not taking before pictures because the pounds will melt off. And no diet pop!

Kris

Kathy said...

Catching up on your blog, the blankets are pretty. I enjoy your writing. Welcome back to work, eh? We see weird stuff with animals during the full moon phase too.

Flea said...

Ooo. I'd like to see Expelled too. But Caspian was good!

You know, you can mix your own colors. I had not quite enough paint to do my bedroom once, so I took a leftover gallon of white, mixed in a little of the leftover butter yellos, then squeezed in half a tube of clay colored acrylic craft paint. Got the prettiest peach you'd ever want to see. Then ragged a watered down copper metallic over the whole thing and it looked like it was antiqued.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

well darn I left a comment this morning and its not here... I said something to the effect of yes to the continuing paint scheme... and I wished you were closer as mike has to work in brunswick this weekend and that leaves Martha and I on our own to work and play...and the way we cope with rising prices is to get a second or third job to pay for the things we have and want ... cause if we can't pay for them we can't have em... and well you know how that all goes. :D
HUGSSSSS
Laura

Susiewearsthepants said...

I am considering taking a part time job for spending money. Soon it will be time to begin repaying all my student loans. Joy! I laughed so hard when I read the part about the poop. I also love the use of the word nekkid. It's a southern thing I guess. Glad you were able to find another job so quickly. I am taking a road trip this weekend and plan on taking along our own food and drinks. With the gas being so high, I can't afford for us to eat out.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I sent your blog address to my daughter-in-law who is an LPN, working on her RN degree. She will love it! I laughed and laughed.

Hey, I gave up sugar yesterday so I'm suffering with you. No headache yet but I'm grouchy.

Brenda said...

That was quite a first day back! Did you like Caspian?