Monday, March 16, 2009

The First Thoughts of Spring

( I'm cheating, this is a re-run but it's pretty good.)

Early spring is here. Where else can one have a soft snow fall on one day and a spring sunshiny day the next? I have been trying to weed and clean up to let all my perennial beds do their thing. I am not the gardener I once was. I used to work in any weather, not any more. I am a fair weather spring and fall gardener now. The plants have to thrive on there own.
One of my favorite areas is the side yard. I have developed a kitchen garden. It’s a mixture of course it’s not strictly edible. I discovered that fresh herbs grow like weeds once they get started. Several varieties of basil spring up each year they reseed themselves. Tomatos are a must have and sometimes a few peppers. The important plants are the necessary ingredients for Italian sauces and fresh tomato sandwiches. Italian food and spring go together for me. Lovely days make my heart sing and it’s easy to feel grateful. Gratitude is not natural for me I have to work at it. My husband the easy going one in this partnership, he has discovered that thanksgiving is the secret to contentment. He’s shared the secret with me, but unfortunately I always seem to have a want list. It may be as short as a chocolate bar, but it’s a list.
If you are like me then one of the things on your long list of wants is to have a shorter list. I desire contentment. To live a simple and frugal life and be fulfilled. Why then is it so elusive? How do we cultivate a thankful heart? Could contentment be as simple as enjoying a fresh simmered sauce over pasta? Sometimes it is. I love to play my “Romance in Venice” CD while I’m cooking it sets a lovely mood. My husband will come into the kitchen and we dance. The spring day, the pretty sounds, the fresh herbs, all fill my heart with joy. As we dance to the sounds of a far away land I forget the list. When my family gathers around the table to enjoy our garden feast and warm bread we are smiling at each other. We laugh, we eat, we enjoy dinner and each other, and I will think to myself, “life doesn’t get any better than this”.
Spring is that time of year for new beginnings, new babies, new flowers, new life. We can also decide to make it a time of new attitudes. We can cultivate simple pleasures and thankful spirits. We can dance in the kitchen and experience romance. Life at its best is simple and full.
“This is what the Lord says: Stand at the crossroads and look;ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.” Jeremiah 6:16

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spring seems to put a new "spring" in my step as well! However, I am a die-hard summer gal:) Bring on the heat!

Angela said...

It's 50 degrees here in Ontario Canada...I'm loving it!!! ((hugs))

I LOVED this post!!

Heidi said...

Cynthia Clauson sings of the promise of spring time and no one could do it better - I love that your hubby dances with you! What a great memory!

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful! I am glad you re ran it because I don't recall it from before.

Thank you for praying for baby Sophia! I loved what you said about bodies healing much quicker than hearts. So perfect!

farmlady said...

I don't remember this post before. It's a nice one. Dancing with your husband in the kitchen is a very neat thing. Happy Spring.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

A beautiful post . . . well worth remembering. : D

Anonymous said...

Like the new hair do! I'm so proud of you and working in the ICU!! Kitter

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Neat post! I find it easy to be grateful for the tiny things, like waking up in the morning. My husband thinks we have to fill every nano second with an accomplishment of some sort and he cannot be happy unless that has been fulfilled each and every day. Sometimes I wish he could just be content. We have some INTERESTING discussions sometimes!