Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spring Dreaming

What is it about spring that gets under our skin so quickly? Weeds can be growing all year long but on a beautiful spring day I'll stoop over and pull them. The outdoors beckons and walks are delightful. We have a lovely lake to walk around in my neighborhood. I have always enjoyed it's beauty, watching the subtle changes from year to year. With my new commitment to fitness one of the "perks" is time with myself. Time for thinking, praying, dreaming.
Today I prayed for a friend who has a very loved friend near death from ravaging disease. That led me to pray for her husband and the rest of their families, for dying grace and mercy for the one who is sick. Then my mind travelled to another friend wrestling with a call to missions; no small decision when your the mother of seven school age children, and the country is ransacked with AIDS and starvation.
Then there are my own little now petty wishes, a bigger kitchen, another poodle, to publish my book.
As I go around the bend I am reminded again that life is more than wanting, more than dreaming; and it's also less. Life is a vapor. Life is fragile and also resilient. Life is forever and is not quite long enough. Life is a mystery.
As my muscles work out their kinks so does my soul. What is important is to thank God, to glorify Him, to give Him the credit for the awesome ways He works in our lives. It's not an accident, that phone call or letter. It's an appointment with the power of the Almighty, bigger than this universe and small enough to know every detail of your life. Isn't that something to dream about?
My little pea pickin brain can't really wrap itself around all that God is and I don't pretend it can. I am grateful for the little word mystery and all that it contains. As I walk and think and pray and dream, I can rest in the shadow of His wing and just simply enjoy the beauty of the day; nothing has changed but me.

1 comment:

Angela said...

"What is important is to thank God, to glorify Him, to give Him the credit for the awesome ways He works in our lives. It's not an accident, that phone call or letter. It's an appointment with the power of the Almighty, bigger than this universe and small enough to know every detail of your life. Isn't that something to dream about?"

So ironic. I just finished writing a devotional about our unexpected visitors that we had last night, that stayed for over 3 hours..and read this now. amen amen amen sister!