Saturday, February 13, 2010

Home Again


I have been fine, just confined to the downstairs where no computers are! Me stuck and bored to death. Kayla brought her computer downstairs today to share with me. Who say's kids can't be great? Having a stir crazy Nannie is a good motivator. How many movies can a person watch anyway? About 6 or 7 a day without anything productive to do.

We had a REAL snowfall. I know that many of you are sick to death of the snow and the cold; but this is the SOUTH. The last snow fall happened about 10 years ago.  Out here 5 INCHES of snow will close down the town. No one out here knows how to drive in snow or anything else so we get a holiday. Schools close (for reals) the government offices close and the news casts are all about the killer storms.
Personally, I thought it was gorgeous. Soft powder lightly blew all day long and actually stuck to everything it touched. Snow makes such a glorious silence, everything is quiet as it falls.
Kayla built a little snow man for the garbage men. They didn't get the day off. My neighbor that works for the gas company did not get the day off. She has been so tired lately she could really use an extra day of rest. That's the way it goes those who are the most worn out have to keep on truckin.



No, I did not go traipsing around in the snow on crutches. My camera has a zoom lens and everything I shot was from the front door or the back door. It was sorely tempting to go crunching around in the soft fluff but I did resist.


By the end of the day, the sun was out and everything that had been on the trees was melted. This morning there is still at least this much snow still here. It's just plain pretty.

As for me, being a patient is always a learning experience. Now I know why patients complain about plexi pulse boots--they can drive you nuts. Who can rest with their feet being squeezed and thumped every minute or two? Having someone come in your room ALL night long and flip on the lights can also drive you nuts. For me that drive is a short walk.

 I used to do a lot of my work in the dark and let people try to sleep.  If I had to stay for more than one night they would have to start really drugging me up. I had very little post op pain--drugs. I thought it was a miracle cure at first. What a nut. Fortunately for me the type of proceedure I had only requires 6 weeks of crutches with toe touch weight bearing. Really it hasn't been bad. I would love to roll over on my left side to sleep but can't do that. Now that the kid has given me access to a computer the whole world seems brighter!

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

14 comments:

Kitter said...

Karen...I've been thinking about you and hoping all had gone well with your surgery. Sounds like the surgery went well. Now, the healing begins!! Glad you were able to get yor hands on a computer! The 'down' time is tough for a busy body like you (said with the utmost of love);) Alas, essential for the hip to regenerate and revascularize. Hugs and healing well wishes my friend!!!

Jeanie said...

I hope the healing continues well. Glad you finally got to a computer (or one came to you). I would be having some kind of bad withdrawl after a few days, or maybe I'd just be going mad with the inactivity. Take care of yourself.

Rosie_Kate said...

I hope you heal up extra fast!

(And yes, I have a cute little tummy now...) :-D

Michelle said...

Hey girl!! So glad that you made it home and are on the road to recovery. Very nice pictures of the snow. We are having a hard time with the weather here. Between being out for flu and the snow days....we have missed 11 days so far. AND, we have another storm that is set to deposit 3 or more inches in our area!

LDF said...

I hate being cooped up and unable to access the things I enjoy doing at the best of times, but especially so when recuperating. Makes me the world's worst patient ... I can't even stand my own company! Here's healing thoughts coming your way!

Tricia said...

The snow pictures are pretty. I hope you get to feeling better soon. :)

joanne said...

blogger is messing with me today so I hope this works and my comment get through...gah!
So pretty, the snow. We have not had a bit here which is unusual for us, seems it's crazy all over. Glad you had something nice to look out out the window instead of rain, rain, rain.
Good to hear you are feeling better, now go ahead and heal up real quick so we can go shopping! take care sweetpea...

Twisted Fencepost said...

Glad to hear you are back home and doing well!
Your "window" pictures are pretty. Looks about the same around here. We got five inches last night. I had to take a walk in the dark with my camera. Loved the quiet falling of the snow. The only sound was the crunching of the snow. LOVE that sound!

farmlady said...

Now, my dear, you know that it would be even harder to recover if the weather outside was beautiful and you couldn't go out there.
Enjoy the snow and the unusual weather..., and by the time you are feeling really good again you will be able to get out there and have fun.
I know this is a hard time for you but it will pass.

Chris H said...

Bummer about being confined by crutches... lovely snow! I would love some around here right now... but it is NEVER EVER going to happen. *sniff*

Unknown said...

Oh no Karen! I am so sorry you are experiencing this kind of hurt. Even though I am sick to death of snow, I have to admit, your pictures are pure loveliness : )

Mental P Mama said...

I have been thinking about you! Enjoy your rest...I'm so glad you are doing okay;)

Fifi Flowers said...

WOW.. that's a lot of snow!

Vanessa Rogers said...

Wow, that is amazing. Those snow pictures are gorgeous. My advice, drown in hot chocolate!!