Monday, February 22, 2010

Passing the Time

Ya'll said to crochet, so I did. Two medium throw blankets for the grandbabes in California. A friend gave some beautiful hand me down clothes so we have quite a nice box for them. The shipping will be insane expensive but oh well, that's life.

I do not have a little bell to ring. Coffee Man you did not mail me one. Yes, eating and talking on the phone do pass the time. However eating  just to pass time is not a good idea. Reading has not really worked out because I am mentally impaired taking strong pain drugs so I don't remember what I'm reading. I can however watch the TV. Have you noticed how much CRAP lousy stuff is on TV? Nature, however has provided some very interesting sights.


Last week we had this weather.



Which forced the bulbs and now we have blooming daffodils, which is early even for us!

I'm feeling better. It's hard to think about blogging when I'm on drugs  resting. I sound crazy enough as it is when I'm not under the influence. Mostly I have been thinking about how to be positive when you feel negative.  It's easy to feel joy and have a great attitude when life is full of blessings and beauty. But how about when life is full of difficulties, or we just plain don't feel good?

If I was asked for a report on how my attitude has been I would give myself a "satisfactory needs improvement." Do you remember those behavior categories on our kindergarten and elementary school report cards? I always had "N's" in the behavior section. It used to make me so mad. So what if I didn't "share easily with others," people should wait for their turn just like I did.
I never understood why grown ups asked you to "wait your turn,"  and then to "share," when your turn finally happened. Seemed to me that my turn always happened just when the whistle blew and recess was over. You see I got set up at an early age to have a negative attitude.

Succesful healing requires not only physical care but a postive mental outlook. That's a tall order around here. I can look around and just start making a list of everything that is not right. Seriously, I ain't kidding you! What good does it do me, if I can't DO anything about it? Even I can follow that little bit of logic to a conclusion.  I have been resisting negative thinking. I think I may even have been pretty tolerable  nice around here; you can ask my family, they will tell all.

At first I couldn't do anything at all so I decided to sleep a lot. Then towards the end of the week I picked up the crochet hook and a project that I started a while back, and I could do it without hurting my shoulder. HIP HIP HOORAY! While I was hooking away at the yarn I gave thanks. It's amazing how much there is to be thankful for, if we take a minute and get specific. Saying thank you helps my attitude. Looking for things to be thankful for is a much better list, than a list of what's wrong. That list is still there but it gets forced into the background where it belongs. I can't quite throw it in the trash. I am not a super saint not even close by a long shot. It's a very big accomplishment on my part to ignore all my selfish demands develop an attitude of gratitude. The cool thing is once I say I'm grateful the feelings follow.

How cool is that? Stinkin cool.

This week I am grateful that sleeping is much easier. I was having a wrestling match kungfu fighting with the covers and the pillows each night.  I can sit more comfortably too. I actually feel very much like I am on the mend. So many people have brought over meals. When people bring you meals not only do you not have to cook, you don't have to shop, or clean up! Wowza it's very nice. This is one of the few times in my life I have been on the receiving end of people's gracious acts of kindness. It's awesome, humbling, and heart warming.

I'm grateful, I really am. Now that I can sit better, I have a lot of unused words to use up. Look out! There is no telling what kind of comments you may receive. I'm still on drugs recuperating and no telling what I might say.

12 comments:

Tatersmama said...

Okay, I followed you home (thanks to your comment!)... and WOW! I've found a great blog to add to the list! Let me make a cup of coffee, and I'll be back to read more!

And the "lining out words" thang? I've forgotten how to do it, so if you would be so kind... ? ;-)

Twisted Fencepost said...

Wow, daffodils! Already?! See there, God gave you an early bloom to make you smile. Mine are just peaking out of the dirt.
Sounds like you have that negative attitude under control.Yay!

Unknown said...

So glad you are on the mend...take it one day at a time, and don't get discouraged. I'm praying for your swift and complete recovery!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear things are progressing to improvement! And thank you for sharing a picture of blooming flowers. I forgot they existed.

still buried in snow here...only two more months!

WudWerkr said...

Yes you can read , even on strong drugs . The upside is uses up time and a couple weeks later you can read it again and its aaaalll neeewwww !! LOL

Michelle said...

Hey Lady, you can leave any kind of crazy comment you want to on my blog! I certainly won't mind. You keep at it and just get this recovery over with. Things will be better before you know it. Just keep pressing forward.

Tricia said...

I am glad you are feeling a bit better. I will keep praying for your recovery. Blessings to you and yours.

MaBunny said...

glad you are starting to feel better. crocheting is always very therapeutic to me. Very pretty blankets

Jeanie said...

Sounds like you are recovering on many levels. I hope it all continues with great success. Your blankets are beautiful and will be much loved, I'm sure.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You ought to start a gratitude journal, and so should I. We have many things to be greatful for and a few not to but last week I learned the things not to be grateful for are the ones that fill our lamps with oil. So we should be greatful for those too. Maybe even more so.

Mental P Mama said...

LOL! Drugs are gooooood;) Glad you are on the mend...this will be a dim memory before too long!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

love the blankies... they are adorable. Glad you are mending... i dont like my buddy being drugged.
and YES YES YES to the gratitude lists they work and are so awesome!
love n hugs Laura