Monday, February 1, 2010

I Promised You a "How to Make A Picture Collage"

First the completed paint job of what was formerly a yellow floral wall papered room. This is fixin to be the teen scene now. Elvis is making himself at home. My resident teenager has gone from bummed out to very excited about the switcheroo. She has decided that this room is very cool. You have to admit the kid has an eye for picking paint. She really is quite good at color. Now if she would just learn to dust on a regular basis.
This is the idea. I saw this advertised in a catalog and these cost about a hundred dollars each. I really liked the idea.

I already have a ton of framed photos. The hallway was jam packed full of them all.
I don't need to buy more frames.

Hummmm what to do?

Set up a table for working and start sorting through the loot. When you get to be my age you have more photos than ---a goose has poop a photo shop.

Practice laying out the pictures in some kind of a pattern that looks good.
I rearranged several times to refine the look.

Then I went to Lowes. My first thought was bathroom hardware because towel rods are strong but they do not come in different sizes. Then I thought of crown molding; you know to hang the pictures on!  I also looked in the storage section at different kinds of metal used for hanging tools. Too minimalist for me, but definitely cheap.
I browsed and thought and scratched my head feeling very much like a certain Pooh Bear- think think think. Then the most obvious idea presented itself;  drape rods! I purchased three- ka ching ka ching ka ching.

 
If you look closely you can see how we are connecting the pictures. You will notice a certain adorable small granddaughter who is the star of our hall way show.
The Hunny had to help of course.I can't seem to do anything all by myself. I bought 10 ft of small chain, S hooks, and brass eyes. The drape rods were $11 each, you can spend a lot more if you like, and probably less.
The S hooks were a couple of dollars and the chain was 54cents a foot, 10 feet was $5.  So far so good!
My job was to put the eyes in the tops and bottoms of each picture. I got to use the power tools!!! Whooo hoooo power tools are fun!

See this is what you call a Granny in action!
While I did that, Hunny measured things in the hallway.I do not do ladders. Sitting on the floor was really pushing it, but you know how it is when you want to get something done. Sit and bear it.
Tucker had to help out, he was the supervisor of course.  


We made two in one day and they are so pretty!


Wall--la! 
It wasn't hard at all once we made a plan and got a groove on. Now the next thing is what to do with all the rest of those pictures!! I am working an 2 more collages but I am taking a very hard look at this extra large collection with an eye on storage for some. I do NOT want to clutter this up. I really like it like this but there are some more photos in the "must hang up" category.

What do you think do you want to try it?

25 comments:

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

I LOVE this idea! It turned out fabulous and you guys did it yourselves!

So tell us more about the up and coming surgery please...

Jeanie said...

I do want to try it, but it may have to go on that long list of things I want do do if I ever quit working. You did a great job...it really looks good.

Flea said...

Oooo! I'm really liking this! We have a ton of photos framed, and a large space up the stairs just needing to be filled!

Flea said...

And I need to ship you a kettle. It's sitting, staring at me, waiting to leave the house. Sorry.

joanne said...

This is the cutest idea...love it, and it looks fantastic. Can't wait to see more! Take care...jj

Tricia said...

I think it looks great! I like to do that with kids artwork, too. :)

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

CLEVER!!! It looks just wonderful. Great teamwork, too!

farmlady said...

This is a wonderful idea. I really like the fact that you can do it all before you hang it up.
You and your husband are a good team.

Chris H said...

The photos look AWESOME like that. Well done both of you!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You are so darn clever! I paid big bucks for the real deal years ago and guess what? It is still not up and I don't even know where all the hardwear is now. You're the smartest of us two, for sure!

Mental P Mama said...

WOW!!!! I love this!

LDF said...

That is SO cool! I've got a big stack of 5 x 7 inch and 4 x 6 inch framed photos that I've been wondering what to do with. Too many to fit on bookshelves anymore, but too precious to NOT display. I think you just solved my dilemma for me! THANKS!

Farmgirl Paints said...

I'm exhausted just looking at you do it:) But it does look great!!

Unknown said...

Fantastic idea! I love the fact that you don't have to be straightening pictures all the time. This way they stay straight and look great!

Rosie_Kate said...

Great idea! I love it!

I know what you mean about needing help with mechanical things. On Saturday, I only wanted to hang up a kitchen utensil rack that I got at IKEA and I ended up needing help to screw the dang thing into the wall. Oh well. Those things make husbands feel all manly and needed.

Kat said...

Wow! That looks fabulous! You are so creative! Great job! :)

Angela said...

You guys have been busy beavers..come here and help me get motivated to paint my trim and hang up on border in the back entrance PLEASE...

Karen said...

Karen, that's a genius idea! I love that you don't have a ton of holes in the wall, and it's such a classy design. Thanks for sharing!

Kitter said...

They turned out awesome Karin!! Really nice looking...thank-you for the step by step instructions!!

Twisted Fencepost said...

YES! Since I have been spackling and painting, I have taken down all my pictures. I've been waiting for an idea for putting them back up, when all the painting is finished.
THANK YOU, for posting this!!!

Angela said...

Hey beautiful girl,,prayed for you on fearless friday

Anonymous said...

How stinking cool is that?!?!?! I LOVE it!!! Hmmmmmm.... I want to do that!

Kathy said...

Wow, I sure like that A LOT. Great job. I can't wait for June!

Unknown said...

Oh. My. Word. I love this idea Karen. Fabulous for sure! Can't wait to see more. Wow.

Tatersmama said...

Wow... I love this idea! It's got my mind spinning, since we're heading home to CA on vacation in just a short while, and I always take heaps of photos of my son and his family!

ps, I've read through a lot of your blog, but didn't want to constantly comment, because I didn't want you to get the idea that you've got a mad stalker on your tail! ;-)