Thursday, March 17, 2011

Inspiration




A friend sent me this. WOW. Talk about overcoming obstacles.

I couldn't sleep much last night. Maybe it's because I have been feeling good for about two weeks. My pain is really manageable.  Which has me wondering what is next in my life? If I was done then God would take me out of this world. He obviously has not chosen to do that, so what am I here for?

I have always been a nurse. Even as a child I was one of those little girls who helped other people.
But that door is closed. In fact working a "job" is closed. Some type of entrepreneurial spirit is required, along with a whole lot of grace. I don't like sales. I'd rather give than collect. I think this whole lesson has to do with being self reliant versus trusting. I prefer self-reliance. That is impossible. Not only can I not work and make my very comfortable salary; I'm embarrassed to confess that I stupidly lost my retirement. It is trust God or nothing.

I am StRuGgLiNg with that. Really. HARD!

Compassion International sent me an e mail to work a table at a Mercy Me concert here in April.
It's for 4 hours. I said yes. It will be good to see how I do with a 4 hour commitment and also help some children find sponsors. It amazes me that everyone in this country doesn't sponsor one child. We could stop the plight of starvation and despair, WORLDWIDE, for about one trip to a local inexpensive restaurant.

It's just a matter of priorities. The other day as I was putting Ponds cream on my face and shaving with one dollar razors from the dollar store.  I was missing my more luxurious purchases of the past. My daughter had told me that one of our favorite skin care lines only cost $34 a month.

The first thought I had was that is the price to save a child. Nice cream? Save child? No brainer.
Besides every old lady I ever met with great skin used Ponds. It's not so bad. It could be worse. I could have no cream at all. I could be a survivor of a horrible disaster, homeless, in fear of being nuked. Thankful now for Ponds.
That is how I have to talk to myself. My ugly self is a spoiled princess that wants the best of everything and gets pouty and nasty to be on this strict cheap budget. I hate it. I want a job. I could get really angry to have all these physical issues. Then I see this beautiful undefeated woman.  If she can have this beautiful spirit of undefeat and gratitude I can too. Even if I have to fight for it, because it doesn't come naturally to me.  Even if I have to wait awhile for God to speak. Somewhere at sometime I prayed for patience...be careful what you wish for.

I finished reading my book, "One Thousand Gifts." It is phenomenal, life changing, beautiful and it includes the grit and pain of real life. I loved it. I wanted to flip right back to the beginning and start over again. I'm keeping a list of my own now. I want to be transformed by being thankful. Being specific has power where being general does not.  I am thankful to sit in the warm sun and pet the pooch. I am thankful for improvement in my arm. The smile of my granddaughter. The feel of soft well worn sheets that smell good. Warm water from the shower. Good coffee in my favorite mug. A wealth of good people and inspiration at my fingertips....God is grace.

I love this woman's story. I love how the Lord revealed to her that she would use her hands. Her spirit is pure Texas. You just can't keep a Texan down, I know my Mama was one. I want this spirit to flow through me. My prayer is Lord, what do you have for me to do? Please don't make me wait a long time.
I love to work.  There is that patience challenge again. It's going to be a long day.

8 comments:

joanne said...

I just picked up the book and haven't wanted to put it down all morning. Laundry is waiting, dishes too but this feels right, right now. I struggle with patience too! We are surely cut from the same cloth...take care KD

Life In a Little House said...

The sponsoring a child really is wonderful!! I will be praying you do well with the 4 hour commitment ~Hope your having a nice St. Patty's Day Love Heather

farmlady said...

I want to quote you something.
"I once heard someone say that a sign of enlightenment was the ability to say( and mean it) in any moment, "Well, this isn't what I want, but it's what I got... so okay."
~ It's Easier Than You Think~ S. Boorstein~

Life is what we do with what we have been given.... and forgiving ourselves. You are on the path, my dear. Keep your head up and your heart open.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thanks for the heads up on that book. It sounds like something I would enjoy.

Have been thinking of you and hoping that you are better. I am still not back to regular blogging but hope to be in the not too distant future. I have workmen everywhere. LOL! Spring. You know the drill! Only we have needed to do this for quite some time. Glad they're doing it, but can't wait to wave bye-bye. LOL!

XOXOXO,

Sheila :-)

Julie Harward said...

I loved your post today...and I use Ponds and Oil of Oly mixed together along with3 essential oils mixed in and it is the best! LOL Have a great weekend :D

the Lola Letters said...

Your blog is so inspiring!
So glad I stopped in today.

hugs,
Lola

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Um, WOW. That lady is Jesus in a dress. WOW.

Thank you for posting this and thank you for checking up on me recently. I am trying to get back into blogging!

Unknown said...

Great post, I'm so glad to check in. :))