Friday, June 6, 2008

Dads

It's almost Father's day. I was thinking about the things Dad's do and don't do. Ladies of the house was asking about guns, her husband is teaching her daughter gun safety and shooting. Someone elses Dad is teaching Piglet archery.
What kind of Dad's did you have? What kind of Dad's do you know? What's your most poignant memory with your father?

Here's an example. My father owned a bakery when I was young. He taught me to bake and frost cakes. I used to stick my finger in the giant vats of frosting at the bakery. We often used to bake a cake on Saturdays, seems like I had to make a cake very week. Once we were casually talking and I said when I grew up I was going to feed my babies a bottle. He rather abruptly said, " you feed them with your breast." I almost fainted. He did not just use those words together, MY....BREAST. My Dad was not to supposed to know I even had one. Had he looked? Where was a hole I could crawl into and die? I zipped my lip and didn't say another word. I know I blushed beet red, intense heat to the face. It was my most embarrassing dad moment. I mean really while baking a cake?

Your turn, whatcha got?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my Dad was the one who said, "It's time to get a bra!" I almost poked my own eyes out. I never wanted to see him again...so embarrassing! Ugh.

Overall, I had a wonderful father wo passed away three years ago. He was always the Dad who had so much time for us. He is dearly missed.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I have so many memories good and bad with my dad but one that he and I both know made a HUGE change in his life and mine was new years eve night back in the mid 80's and I took my dad to his very first AA meetings... it was an alkathon (meetings all night) and it was the day my father stopped drinking... Best night ever!
Hugs Laura

Brenda said...

Awwww. My dad was a great guy and passed away from a malignant brain tumor at age 47. He worked at Western Auto's home office and headed up the data processing department. It was back when they entered things by hand on those long cards. We loved to go into work with him on a Saturday and "type" on the machines and make the cards.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

I don't have a lot of good memories of my dad growing up because of his drinking and all that goes along with it. But, one memory that always makes me laugh out loud was when I happened to look out the little kitchen window and caught my dad trying to ride my brother's skateboard. To this day I do not know what he was thinking. It was the very same skateboard that he had just yelled at my brother about for riding on the patio.

He thought nobody was looking and stepped up on it with both feet on the cement patio. Instantly he was flat on his back and I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. Of course after that he turned the air blue with profanity, but that picture of the board zooming out and the next second him horizontal is something I hope I will always remember.

Kris

Flea said...

LOL!!! What a great dad memory! Mine is probably dinner at the China Doll in New Orleans, or movies with him in New Orleans on a Saturday. He loved movies and good food!

Kathy said...

Ah, great post idea. I love your memory of your Dad. Hmmm, so many good ones with my Dad. He was the Dad in the neighborhood that would go out and play with all the kids on weekends and evenings. Our friends even knocked on our door to ask if Mr Fe***** could come out and play. Since I've moved to California, I just don't get home often enough to visit Mom and Dad.

Anonymous said...

No wonder you are so good at cakes!

Let's see... Well, my Dad often took me with him on his runs to Sears. Back in those days they used to have a candy kiosk type thing... it was like a big octagon with all the candy behind glass and they weighed it. My Dad always got peanut clusters. On the way home from one particular trip I read my first bumper sticker. It said, "Save Gas Fart in a Jar."

Anonymous said...

I got distracted by your post and forgot to tell you that I posted a little bit about you and linked back to you on my blog.