Monday, August 10, 2009

Pondering Possibilites

This post is going to just be a little update. The place out there is livable once cleaned but that in itself is a huge proposition. Since we don't have the money to invest into it I think we are going to pass. The good part about that was we could have reduced our monthly expenses, in theory, however a very big question would be what kind of problems are out there. It looks like a money pit. It was fun to look at.

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. I heard from my manager this morning. I don't qualify for anything else at work. They don't have an available desk job. They can't hold my position for me anymore. Time for the resignation letter. Stink. I cried again, but just for a few minutes.

My appointment is on Thursday to consult the surgeon. I have $11,000 in bills on my desk right now just for the feet. We may end up in a trailer. I am trying to keep a positive attitude about this but it isn't easy, in fact it's going to take a major effort on my part. I sure do wish I could skip this. When I am up and moving around during the day my hip really kills me at night, so it has to be done. I just hate it that it is going to take a huge hunk of home equity to pay for it.
We have fallen between the cracks here and don't qualify for anything, so much for government assistance and programs. If my taxes weren't so high I might be debt free right now. We were awfully close. We could see ourselves there in the next 3 years. Instead we are going to go backwards at an alarming rate. I'm sorry I'm discouraged, but this is just plain hard.

I still don't want government health care and stimulus packages. We will figure this out. Our lives may take a big change because of our age and how long we have to work and pay for things but we can manage. We can make it because frugal has become a part of my mind set.

A friend was here and showed me a pair of cute pajamas that she said she gave $40 for. I almost choked. I have reduced my grocery tab at Walmart to that. She wanted to go shopping and I said pass. We drove around in the car and I showed her the sights and took her down to the Old Capitol building museum which is free and she enjoyed that.

We were at church and I saw where a lot of money could be saved in just a few places, raise the thermostat and save on energy bills, change our bulletin to something smaller and not glossy.
My brain is just running along those lines. We have been eating great. I bake bread, and make veggies from the yard and pick up others at the Farmers Market. We missed the fall planting times I think. I was looking at a catalog and saw that pumpkins take 120 days. We don't know what fall crops grow here and when they are supposed to go in. I do want pie pumpkins they are awesome for all kinds of dishes and they are expensive to buy. I make a great pureed soup with coconut milk and ginger.

Who knows maybe we will build a small cabin from scratch out in the country. I am not sure. We have to do something though, we can't just go into thousands and thousands of dollars of debt. Any southern farmers know about fall crops?

14 comments:

joanne said...

you inspire me to live more faithfully and frugally...thanks. I know you are going through a rough patch, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Have a good Monday..;p

Anonymous said...

I'm just going to get down on my knees alongside of you and wait for the seas to part. God's got it all figured out.

(Pssssst . . . maybe a trailer on five lush acres out in the country wouldn't be such a bad way to go . . .)

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Ummm . . . guess my daughter was checking her email using my computer (with my permission of course) and so my comment above got tagged from her -- it's not! It's from me. : D

p.s.
She's right here with me hearing all about your blogpost and sending you hugs and prayers.

farmlady said...

Dear Karen, This is a trying time for you and your family. I really hope that something happens to bring you some relief. I have never believed in the old addage that God will never give you more than you can handle, but others do. Maybe there is a bigger picture here. Maybe you are being directed to a new road in life. Just keep your head up.
Life is always bring trials. What you do with them is up to you. I know you have a lot of fortitude and this will turn out better than you expect.

Linda said...

Lovie, it really will be OK. The hospital will work with you on your bill. Just call them and talk it out. You know they have people there who can help out with stuff like that. And, when you get that hip fixed make sure and ask the anesthesiologist to do a psoas block with a catheter for pain control. Holla at me and I'll play nurse and check on you. Love you!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Oh hon I'm sorry you are going through this hard spell. Money trouble is such a strain. I will be sending some prayers up for you.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

I hate to see you worrying about $$...here you guys were on the right road to debt free and all. But the bottom line is that you DO have to get yourself fixed up or you won't be able to enjoy anything, right?

I know there are ways to get help with the hospital debt and I know you will find them. You are very resourceful and smart.

By the way, I love the cabin pics. My husband and I are terrible for throwing caution to the wind and embarking on all sorts of adventures like this. He has all the skills from A to Z it takes to make that homestead a gorgeous place to live. You never did mention price...

Chris H said...

I loved the look of that place you were thinking about.
I hope you can sort your finances out without ending up in a trailer mate!
You do a fantastic job economising.. we should all do that... but sadly I am a shopaholic! And luckily we have the income to indulge me.
We have been where you are though, it was not easy raising 6 kids on one income... and for several years I worked too... until Brylee and Griffin arrived anyway.
I feel for you sweetie.

WudWerkr said...

I dont remember the state policies in ms however you should see about state aid . i had a surgery last nov. i talked to the hosp about cutting bill 30% total was 10,000 they said not till i was turned down for public aid. i own my business m and make 40k yr , but i filled out paperwork . because i have minor at home i was approved . state paid 6,200 of the bill. so dont pass up ANY possibilities however remote .

Unknown said...

I bet you could still get those pumpkins going if you do it NOW.

:-)

Mental P Mama said...

I think I will continue with my frugal ways even after things get better. And they're going to get better. Now go plant your pumpkins!

Tricia said...

Praying for you today. God bless.

Britt-Arnhild said...

Good luck to you KD.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your medical bills... we are so often in the same boat. Sometimes it is me, sometimes Jacob, sometimes Sean and so on. Mostly me and Jacob though. It is so frustrating.

Like you, I do not want government healthcare though!